While flashing a custom ROM, the risk of an improper install always looms which can cause the phone to go into bootloops. There are several other things that can go wrong while flashing a custom ROM; like flashing an incompatible kernel, corrupt zip package of ROM, etc. It is important to make a backup of your current ROM before flashing a new one.
It is advisable to make a backup using recovery. A Backup make in recovery is often referred to by developers as a Nandroid backup. A Nandroid backup can Restore the phone to its working condition including all the Apps, SMSes, Call logs and other Personal Data.
This tutorial to show a step-by-step process of making a Nandroid Backup and also Restoring from the same. For backup/restore of un rooted devices, you may see the Desktop PC backup method.
Requirements for using Nandroid Backup
- Rooted phone (If you’re thinking of flashing a custom ROM, this tutorial assumes that you’ve already Rooted your phone)
- ClockworkMod recovery or any CWM-based Recovery.
- At least 1GB of free storage on your SDcard (the size of the Nandroid backup varies device to device so it’s safer to keep 1.5 GB free space on your device)
- Android SDK (if you haven’t installed the same, read the Modding requirements)
- At least 50% charge of battery.
- Lots of patience!
Nandroid Backup Process
- Connect your Phone to the PC.
- On your PC, go to the folder where you’ve installed the Android SDK (…\android-sdks\platform-tools)
- Press Shift key + Right click and select “Open Command window here”
- Type “adb reboot recovery” in the command prompt window. This will restart your phone into recovery mode. This might not work for some devices.
- Once in Recovery mode, select Backup and Restore.
- Select BACKUP and the Backup process will begin.
- It will take about 15 mins to complete this process so if possible keep the phone connect to the power supply.
- Once the backup is complete you’ll be returned to the recovery screen.
- Then Reboot the phone and transfer the backup folder to your PC for safe keeping. It can be found on your SDcard at clockworkmod/backup/
Restoring Process from Nandroid backup
- Connect the phone to the PC and transfer the earlier backup folder into your SDcard into this path “clockworkmod/backup/“
- Follow steps 1 to 5 from the backup proces.
- Select RESTORE, then select the appropriate Backup folder and the backup process will begin.
- It will take about 15 mins to complete the Restore process, so if possible keep the phone connect to the power supply.
- Reboot your phone to boot into the Recovered state.
This is a generic tutorial and steps may vary a little, depending on your device. If you’re stuck anywhere, feel free to ask your doubts in the Comments section below!