Unlocking the bootloader is a very common thing among the HTC and the Sony devices. An unlocked bootloader allows you to flash custom ROMs, custom kernels, etc. However there is one disadvantage of doing it. In case of Sony Xperia devices, you will lose the DRM keys and also the Bravia engine will stop working.
XDA Forum Member rickwyatt has managed a way to prevent this. The DRM keys and the Bravia Engine are present in a TA partition on the device and there is a tool using which you can backup the TA partition. First backup the TA partition, unlock the bootloader and then restore the TA partition. This will keep the DRM keys and the Bravia Engine along with other things in the TA partition intact. Follow the instructions below to backup/restore the TA partition.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia device:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Note: The Backup TA tool is only for Sony Xperia device and not Sony Ericcson Xperia devices. It will work on most Sony Xperia devices. Do not use it for Linux and Mac. It is only for Windows.
- Sony Xperia drivers installed on the computer
- Backup TA tool zip
Steps to Backup/Restore the TA Partition:
- Download the Backup TA tool zip on the computer and extract the zip file to a suitable location.
- Reboot the Sony Xperia device.
- After this, connect the Sony Xperia device to the computer.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled on the device and no application is using the ADB.
- Now locate the folder where you extracted the Backup TA zip file and run the Backup-TA.bat.
- Press any key to continue.
- In the next window, choose the operation you wish to perform. Wait for it to finish.
- Disconnect the device from computer and reboot the device. Done!