IE 10 on Windows 8 on Surface, as we all know, has limited support for flash on websites. Not all websites work well as of yet on Surface. The flash support is based on a “white-list” of websites that are supported for flash and many websites are yet to be included in the white list yet.
However there is a hack to enable flash on all websites. The method is fairly simple and easy to follow.
- Open IE10 and navigate to ALT > Tools > Compatibility View Settings.
- Uncheck the last checkbox called as “Download updated compatibility list from Microsoft“
- Now open File explorer and copyand paste or type in the path “%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\” the address bar.
- Now locate the “iecompatdata.xml” in notepad. (make sure you have enabled “Show hidden files” option as iecompatdata.xml is a hidden file)
- All whitelisted flash enabled websites are located in this file inbetween the following tag:
- To add a website to the white list all you have to do is you’ve to add the website in the following
tags:<domain> example.com </domain>
- Add as many domains as you like.
- Now press “win + I” to open “settings > internet options > clear browsing history “
- Congrats now you enabled flash for all the sites that you want.