What is DFU mode?
Apple is infamous for the lack of control over the devices. However, very few know that there exists a recovery mode in every Apple product to be able to restore the device from any state. This recovery mode is called as the DFU mode which is an abbreviation for Device Firmware Upgrade mode. Incidents may occur when your Apple product may get stuck at some stage during or after jailbreaking it. At such instances you cannot recover the device via normal restore process via iTunes. In such situations DFU mode can help you recover your device to a working condition. However to recover your iPhone, iPad, iPod or iPad mini you need to have a backup of it first.
Here is a small tutorial to enter DFU mode and recover your device to a working state:
- Windows / MAC
- Latest iTunes installed.
- USB cable connector.
- Backup of your device using iTunes.
- Connect your device to your PC or MAC.
- Power off your device.
- Once the device is turned off press and hold the power button for 3 seconds.
- Without leaving the power button also press and hold the home button.
- After 10 seconds release the power button but keep holding the home button.
- Now iTunes will prompt you that an Apple product has been connected in recovery mode, now you may release the home button.
- Press OK to the prompt displayed by iTunes.
- Now your device is in DFU mode.
- (optional) If you wish to restore your device click on the restore button on the screen
- To exit the DFU mode simple press and hold the power and home button together till the Apple logo is displayed on the device’s screen.