A custom recovery is a basically a recovery mode that has been developed by an independent developer. A custom recovery helps you to perform functions like backup/restore, Install custom ROMs, Install MODs and other low level operations on your Android Device. HTC Butterfly A.K.A HTC Drid DNA is a powerful phone that can be made even better if you install a custom recovery in it in order to allow yourself to root the device, install custom ROMs and various other Modifications. Here is a small tutorial to install a custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM on your HTC Butterfly J.
- HTC Butterfly/Droid DNA with unlocked bootloader.
- HTC drivers.
- Perform S-Off on your HTC Butterfly.
- Download TWRP recovery image(X920d / X920e) or CWM recovery image (X920d / X920e). ( Download the appropriate img file for X920d or X920e as per your model)
- Download Adb fastboot package.
Power off your device.
- Unzip the ADB fastboot package.
- Power off the device.
- Now press the Volume down button and the power button together till HBOOT menu is displayed.
- Now navigate to “fastboot” using the volume keys and press power button to select it.
- Once in fastboot mode connect the device to the PC using USB cord.
- Now open the folder you created in step 2 and press shift + right click and select open command window here.
- Now type the following code in cmd window:
fastboot boot recovery.img(replace the name with the appropriate file name of the recovery file downloaded)
- You have successfully flashed a custom recovery.
- To enter recovery mode power down your device and now press the Volume down button and the power button together till HBOOT menu is displayed.
- Use the volume rocker to navigate to “RECOVERY” option and press the Power button to enter recovery.