Flashing a custom recovery in Xperia J requires you to root your device first. However, Rooting of your Xperia J device is only possible in Firmware versions 11.0.A.3.28 or 11.0.A.3.18. There exists another problem with the recovery in Xperia J that you can access the recovery only when the device is plugged into a power source or to your PC. This is caused as there is no separate partition for recovery in Xperia J, as available in other phones, The recovery is placed in the boot partition and exploits a loophole in the firmware.
Here is a tutorial to Flash CWM recovery on your Xperia J.
- Download Zip Package to Flash Recovery.
- USB Debugging ( Settings > > Developer Options > > USB Debugging )
- USB cord.
- (Optional) Root your Xperia J
- Unzip the downloaded zip file on your desktop.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- Open the folder you unzipped in step 1.
- Run the file “runme.bat”.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
- Once the process is completed, reboot your device.
- To enter recovery mode you’ll have to plug your device to a power source and reboot the device.
- When the SONY logo is displayed on the screen keep pressing the volume buttons till you enter recovery mode.
- In recovery use the on-screen buttons to navigate between options and use the power button for selection.