Facebook Home app hit the Google Play Store on 13th April. Facebook Home launcher conveniently displays your Facebook news feed with scrolling images and quick access to Facebook Messenger and app drawer. But there are some limitations to this launcher – there is no widget support, the wallpaper cannot be changed, and the amount of Internet data and memory it consumes is very high.
Facebook Home was compatible with only a few devices – HTC One, One X, One X+, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2. But XDA member theos0o has been successful in porting it to most of the Android devices. Some of the devices on which it has worked properly include Xperia S, Xperia T, Samsung Galaxy S Duos, Nexus 7, Galaxy S2, Xperia X8 and many more. It works on rooted as well as non-root devices. Users who want to try it out on their devices can follow the instructions given below.
- If Facebook and Facebook Messenger app are installed on the Android, then uninstall it. If it was pre-installed, then you might need root to uninstall.
- Download the Facebook and Facebook Home apk (.rar file), Facebook Messenger apk files.
- Extract the rar file and place it on the SD card of the Android along with the Facebook Messenger apk file.
- Using a suitable file manager, install com.facebook.katana (FB app), then com.facebook.home (Home app).
- Next install com.facebook.orca.apk (Messenger app).
- Enable Facebook Home under Facebook app settings.
- Wipe the dalvik cache.
- Reboot. Enjoy the Facebook Home launcher !