Recovery mode is a Logical separation on your Android Device’s Internal Memory. The Recovery mode serves, as the name suggests, recovering your device to factory settings. However, a custom recovery does a lot more than just restoring your device. It call perform certain low level operations that can be used to flash custom ROMs, MODs, Backup and restore your device, wipe cache, etc.
In order to obtain root access to your HTC One you need to flash a custom Recovery. Here is a short tutorial to flash ClockworkMod Touch Custom Recovery on your HTC One.
- Unlocked Bootloader of HTC One (Refer this article for more information)
- Download CWM Touch recovery img file.
- Download ADB / Fastboot Package.(If you are on MAC refer this article to set up ADB and Fastboot)
- USB cord.
- USB Debugging (Settings > Developer Options> Android Debugging)
- Unzip the ADB/ Fastboot package on your Desktop.
- Place the recovery img file you just downloaded in the same folder and rename it as “recovery.img”.
- Now Press “Shift + Right click” and select “Open command window here”.
- Power off the device.
- Now press the Volume down button and the power button together till HBOOT menu is displayed.
- Now navigate to “fastboot” using the volume keys and press power button to select it.
- Once in fastboot mode connect the device to the PC using USB cord.
- Now open the folder you created in step 2 and press shift + right click and select open command window here.
- Now type the following code in cmd window:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- You have successfully flashed a custom recovery.
- To enter recovery mode power down your device and now press the Volume down button and the power button together till HBOOT menu is displayed.
- Use the volume rocker to navigate to “RECOVERY” option and press the Power button to enter recovery.