Cyanogen OS 12 was recently announced with Android Lollipop. While it has great features, some users have reported a huge battery drain. The root cause of this drain has been found out and it is believed to be OTA update component of Google Play Services (SystemUpdateService), which was disabled in KitKat and earlier versions of Cyanogen.
XDA developers have identified this issue and have created a fix for it. They have made a modded Google Play Services package that can help solve the battery drain problem. Follow the guide below to fix this issue.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Android:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Device must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- Google Play Services zip file
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Google Play Services zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Google Play Services zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.