The Galaxy S3 is the successor to Samsung’s best-selling Galaxy S2. It has a bigger, 4.8″ 720p display. It also is the first device to have a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, with each core clocked at a maximum 1.4 GHz. It packs NFC, wireless charging capability. It ships with Samsung’s Nature UX interface. It’s available in 16, 32, and 64GB configurations.
Samsung continues to ignore this device for the latest OTA updates. It wont get the official Lollipop update from Samsung. However, custom ROM running on Android 5.0 is available for this device. It is in the form of a Nandroid backup and you will have to restore it using CWM recovery. Follow the detailed guide given below to install Android 5.0 on the Galaxy S3.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Galaxy S3 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- Android 5.0 file
- Galaxy S3 kernel
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install Android 5.0 on Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Android 5.0 file, Galaxy S3 kernel and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Copy the Android 5.0 file to the /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Restore the Android 5.0 file via Nandroid.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the Galaxy S3 kernel file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.