Nexus Player is a media streaming device. Released in October 2014, it is the successor to the Nexus Q. It connects to an HDTV or home theater system to to essentially convert your current TV into a smart TV. The Nexus Player is powered by an Intel Atom 1.8Ghz quad-core processor, has 1GB of RAM and 8GB internal storage. As well as playing video and audio, it also allows you to play Android games on the big screen, and even has an optional game controller available for an improved gaming experience.
Google have started rolling out official Android 7.0 Nougat for Nexus Player. However, not all the regions will receive it together as this is done in phases. If you have not received it and want to install Android 7.0 manually, a detailed guide is given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your device:
- Make a Backup of the data
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Drivers installed on the computer
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- ADB and Fastboot installed on the computer
- Android 7.0 Nougat System Image
- Make sure Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot files are present in the same folder.
- Download the system image file of your device and extract it to the folder in the above step.
- First you will need to unlock the bootloader.
- Switch off the device and reboot to fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to PC. Open the command prompt in the SDK folder and type the following command
fastboot oem unlock
- Open a terminal and navigate to the unzipped system image directory.
- Execute the flash-all script which installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware, and operating system.
- Your device will reboot and you will see Android 7.0 Nougat.
- If you want to lock the bootloader, follow steps 4 and 5 but this time enter the following command
fastboot oem lock