Nexus 4 is getting a lot of developments over the past few weeks. First it got the Android 4.4.4 update and subsequently we saw how to root it and install custom recovery. Google released Android L factory images for Nexus 4 which confirmed that Nexus 4 will get the official Android L update. Now there is some another good news for the Nexus owners, as XDA developers have managed to port the Android L preview on the Nexus 4. At this point of time, it still has many bugs, but the users who are very impatient on trying the Android L, can try out this update. Follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 4 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- Android L zip file
Steps to install Android L on Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Android L zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Go to “Mount and Storage” and format the system.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the Android L zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.
- First boot may take around 10 minutes. Be patient.