Sony Xperia Z was released in 2013. It has a 5″ screen with a high pixel density of 441 ppi. It is powered by a 1.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, Adreno 320 GPU. Xperia Z has 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage, which is expandable up to 32GB. It comes with a 13.1MP primary camera. Along with these impressive specs, Xperia Z was one of the first devices to have water and dust resistant capabilities.
Sony Xperia Z has not yet received the Android 4.4.2 update. However you can manually update to KitKat via the custom ROMs. A nightly build of AOKP ROM running on Android 4.4.2 is available for Xperia Z. Besides the improved performance, this ROM will also contain less bloatware i.e the preinstalled apps of Sony will absent. Follow the steps given below to install it on the Xperia Z.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia Z bootloader must be unlocked
- Xperia Z must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- AOKP zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOKP zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the AOKP zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.