The Sony Xperia S is an Android smartphone from Sony launched at the 2012 CES event. It is the first Sony-only branded smartphone after Sony acquired Ericsson’s stake in Sony Ericsson in January 2012. The Xperia S has a 4.3″ touch-screen with the mobile BRAVIA engine which optimizes the picture, a 1.5 GHz dual core processor, a 12.0 mega-pixel rear camera, HDMI-out, 1 GB of RAM, and 32GB of internal storage.
Previously, we saw how to install AOSP ROM running on Android 5.0 on the Sony Xperia Acro S. The same ROM is also available for the Xperia S. Builds are released frequently to solve the issues plaguing the ROM. If you want to try out the ROM, follow the guide given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia S:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install AOSP ROM on Xperia S:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.