Sony Xperia Z1 was released in September 2013. Xperia Z1 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.2GHz quad-core processor, and 2GB of RAM. The 5″ TFT display has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and is manufactured utlising Sony’s Bravia technology. Internal storage comes in at 16GB, with a further 64GB available with microSD. Z1 has a 20.7MP sensor.
Sony Xperia Z1 can be updated to Android 6.0 using AOSP ROM. It is as good as stock Android and it will offer better features and performance than Xperia UI. If you want to install this ROM, a detailed guide is given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z1:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install AOSP ROM on Xperia Z1:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.