Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released in 2011. The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED 720p display featuring the PenTile matrix and curved glass. It also has NFC support to be able to work with Google Wallet and as Android Beam. The dual-core TI OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus clocks in at 1.2GHz, and is backed by 1 GB of RAM.
Galaxy Nexus did not get the official Android KitKat update as it fell beyond the 18 month window of Google for providing official updates. This has not stopped the developers from making custom ROMs for this device. CM 11 custom ROM is available for the Galaxy Nexus which will give the KitKat experience to its users. Follow the guide given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Galaxy Nexus must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 ROM on Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.