Samsung Epic 4G is Sprint’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S. It is the first official release in the Samsung Galaxy series. It has 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM. It features a full QWERTY keyboard and ships with a 16 GB micro SD card to upgrade the internal memory. The Epic 4G is preloaded with Android 2.1 Eclair and can be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The Epic 4G is the only version of the Galaxy S that features a notification LED.
Samsung Epic 4G is an old device and Samsung has stopped the official support since long. However the CyanogenMod community is continuing developing new ROMs for this device and the CM 11 custom ROM running on the latest Android version is available for this device. Follow the instructions given below to install it on the Epic 4G.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Epic 4G:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Epic 4G must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 ROM on Samsung Epic 4G:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.