The Xperia SP was launched in 2013 with a 4.6″ screen and 720p resolution. It is powered by a dual-core Snapdragon processor with a 1.7 GHz clock speed per core. Sony has implemented the Mobile Bravia Engine 2 into the phone, which helps to create the “Reality Display” that Sony has used in advertisements for the SP. The Sony Xperia SP has an 8 MP rear camera that is capable of recording 1080p.
Xperia SP, not being a flagship device, will not receive the official KitKat update. But there are tons of developers building custom ROMs and the most popular CM developers have created a CM 11 ROM for this device. It brings the KitKat experience with all the features of the CyanogenMod ROM. Follow the steps given below to install it on Xperia SP.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia SP:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sony Xperia SP must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 ROM on Sony Xperia SP:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.