Sony Xperia ZL has the same specs as the Xperia Z. It has a 5″ display with a 1080x1920p resolution. It is powered by a 1.5 GHz Quad core Snapdragon S4 processor, 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage which can be expanded with a microSD card. It is not water and dust proof like the Xperia Z. Additionally, it uses IR technology to use the phone as a remote control for a television.
Xperia ZL runs on Jelly Bean OS. However you can upgrade it to Android 4.4 OS via different custom ROMs. CM 11 is the most popular custom ROM and it is available for Xperia ZL. Team FX has made an unofficial CM 11 ROM for the Xperia. You can follow the instructions given below to install it on Sony Xperia ZL.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your device getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia ZL:
- Make a Backup of the data on your device
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Xperia ZL drivers installed on the computer
- Xperia ZL Bootloader unlocked
- Xperia ZL must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- Fastboot zip file
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download all the files on the computer and transfer the CM 11 and Gapps file to the phone.
- Extract the fastboot zip file on the computer.
- Extract the boot.img from the CM 11 file and place it in the folder where fastboot zip file was extracted.
- Now switch on the phone to the fastboot mode and connect it to the computer.
- Open the folder where fastboot files and boot.img files are present.
- Open the command prompt in that folder. Type the following line and press enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Custom kernel will be flashed on the device and it will reboot.
- Now switch on the phone in recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the CM 11 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.