Sony Xperia ZR is more or less similar to Sony’s 2013 flagship – Xperia Z. It has the same specs as that of Xperia Z except the screen size. The 4.55″ display has a resolution of 720×1280 pixels. The 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 processor is quad-core. The Xperia ZR runs on 2 GB of RAM, with 8 GB of internal storage which can be expanded with a microSD card. Just like the Xperia Z, this phone is also water and dust resistant.
Xperia ZR came with Android 4.1 OS. It has not received the official Android 4.4 update yet. Android 4.4 has lots of amazing new features – Screen Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non NFC devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive on all devices, Full-screen Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, redesigned Quickoffice and much more. You can install Android 4.4 on Xperia ZR via the CM 11 custom ROM. Follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your device getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia ZR:
- Make a Backup of the data on your device
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Xperia ZR drivers installed on the computer
- Xperia ZR Bootloader unlocked
- Xperia ZR must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the files on the computer and transfer the CM 11 and Gapps file to the phone.
- Now switch on the phone in recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the CM 11 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.