Nexus Player is a media streaming device that runs Android 5.0 Lollipop. Released in October 2014, it is the successor to the Nexus Q. It connects to an HDTV or home theater system to to essentially convert your current TV into a smart TV. The Nexus Player is powered by an Intel Atom 1.8Ghz quad-core processor, has 1GB of RAM and 8GB internal storage. As well as playing video and audio, it also allows you to play Android games on the big screen, and even has an optional game controller available for an improved gaming experience.
Nexus Player runs on Android 5.1.1. If you are bored of the stock ROM and want some additional features on Nexus Player, you can install CM 12.1 ROM which runs on Android 5.1.1. Besides, CM ROMs are known to improve the performance of the device. Follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus Player:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Nexus Player must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 12.1 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 12.1 ROM on Nexus Player:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 12.1 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the device.
- Switch off the device and boot into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 12.1 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the device.