Sony Xperia Z2 was released in the first half of year 2014. It has a 5.2″ IPS LCD display, with a resolution of 1920×1080. it’s powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, with 3GB of RAM, 16GB internal storage and a microSD slot. The Z2 has a 20.7MP camera, with 4K video recording at 60 frames/second. All this is powered by a 3200mAh battery.
Sony has recently started rolling out the Android Lollipop update to the Xperia Z2. But it is Android 5.0.x based and not the latest Android 5.1. You can install Android 5.1 on the Xperia Z2 using the CM 12.1 custom ROM. Follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install CM 12.1 ROM on Xperia Z2:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 12.1 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 12.1 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.