Asus Zenfone 2 was launched in March this year. It has a 5.5 inch display with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. It is powered by a Intel Atom CPU which is clocked at 1.8GHz and has 4 cores. The rear camera is 13MP while the front camera is 5MP. The internal memory of Zenfone 2 is 16GB and it has a microSD card slot. It runs on Android Lollipop with Asus planning to provide official Marshmallow update.
It will take some time for Asus to deliver Marshmallow update for Zenfone 2. Till then you can use CM 13 ROM running on Android 6.0. CyanogenMod team has made CM 13 ROMs for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML and Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML variants. A detailed guide on installing CM 13 on Zenfone 2 is given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Zenfone 2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Zenfone 2 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 13 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Gapps Fix
Steps to install CM 13 ROM on Zenfone 2:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 13 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 13 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Perform steps 6 and 7 for Gapps fix.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.