Xiaomi Redmi 1S has a 4.7″ 720p IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 400 chipset with quad-core 1.6GHz processor, 1GB of RAM and 8GB internal storage. It has an 8MP shooter with 1080 video capture capability, and is powered by a 2000mAh battery. As with all Xiaomi Android smartphone devices, the Xiaomi Redmi 1S runs Xiaomi’s own user interface, MIUI, on top of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Xiaomi Redmi 1S is unlike to get official Marshmallow support as it falls in the low-end category. However there are many teams who work on making custom ROMs for this phone. An unofficial version of CM 13 is available for this phone which will update it to Android 6.0. A detailed guide to install this ROM is given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Redmi 1S:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Redmi 1S must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 13 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Gapps Fix
Steps to install CM 13 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 1S:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 13 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 13 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Perform steps 6 and 7 for Gapps fix.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.