Moto E launched by Moto earlier this year is a budget friendly device with great specs. It comes with a 4.3″ display, Snapdragon 200 dual core processor clocked at 1.2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM and 5 MP camera. Also, it runs on the Android KitKat OS. All this with the price of Moto E only $129.
A good news for the Moto E users is that developers have started to release custom ROMs for this device. An unofficial CM11 ROM is available for the Moto E. It is still undergoing development and currently faces some minor issues like the dual sim is not working. Still, if you want to go ahead with installing CM11 on the Moto E, follow the steps given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Moto E:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Bootloader unlocked
- Moto E must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 ROM on Moto E:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.