Nexus 4 is the fourth device in Google’s Nexus series. Manufactured by LG, Nexus 4 recently received the latest Android 4.4.3 update. This update has a modified dialer and phone app along with tons of bug fixes. Those who have updated Nexus 4 to Android 4.4.3 might want to root the device. For that, you will have to first install CWM custom recovery. Follow the steps given below to install CWM on Nexus 4 running on Android 4.4.3 KTU84L firmware.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to Install CWM Recovery on Nexus 4:
- Make sure Nexus 4 drivers are properly installed.
- Download the fastboot zip file on your computer and extract it to a convenient location.
- Download the recovery file and copy it to the folder where the fastboot files were extracted.
- Now connect the phone to the computer.
- Open command prompt where fastboot and the recovery image files are extracted.
- Type the following commands and then press enter:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-mako.img
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Done! CWM recovery is now installed on the Nexus 4.