Google has released the factory images of Android 5.1 for some Nexus devices. The OTA for the devices will be available in the coming weeks. Previously we have seen how to manually install Android 5.1 on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2012. Now a tutorial is available to install the custom CWM recovery on both these devices. You can follow the guide given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your device getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data
- Make sure developer options is unlocked
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Bootloader unlocked
- Drivers installed on the computer
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- ADB and Fastboot installed on the computer
- CWM recovery
- Download the CWM recovery file and place it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on your computer.
- Now boot the device in the fastboot/bootloader mode.
- To do this, power-off the device and then press and hold Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds until you see some text on the screen.
- Now navigate to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools on the computer and open command prompt in this folder.
- Type the following command and press enter.
Nexus 5 – fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-hammerhead.img
Nexus 7 – fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-grouper.img
- Once the command is executed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and boot into Recovery Mode. Done!