Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is the waterproof variant of Samsung’s latest flagship – Galaxy S4. Galaxy S4 Active has a 5-inch, Full HD screen, a blisteringly powerful quad-core processor, a 13-megapixel camera and 2GB of RAM. Along with these great specs, it possesses all the great features of the flagship Samsung Galaxy S4.
If you want to install the Google Edition ROM on this phone or any other custom ROM, you will need to first root the Galaxy S4 Active and then install the CWM recovery. We have already seen how to root Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. In this post, we will see how to install CWM custom recovery on Galaxy S4 Active.
This guide is only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT i9295. Do not use it for any other variants or carriers.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S4 Active:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung drivers installed
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active must be rooted
- Odin3 v3.07
Steps to Install CWM on Galaxy S4 Active:
- Make a backup of your data.
- Extract the contents of Odin3 3.07.zip on your computer and install Odin on the PC.
- Turn off the phone and make sure it is not connected to the computer.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode.
- Open Odin. Connect your phone to the computer and allow the drivers to install. You will see the “Added!!” message on Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers for your phone.
- In the Odin Menu, make sure to check the Auto-Reboot and F.Reset options.
- Download CWM-Recovery-gt-i9295_v1-2.tar.md5.zip for S4 Active GT-I9295 on the computer and extract the downloaded zip to get a file with .tar extension.
- Click the PDA button in Odin and locate the TAR file for your phone. Do not make any unnecessary changes on Odin.
- Click the Start button in Odin and wait for a few moments.
- Your phone will automatically reboot. Done!