Firefox OS is a Linux-based open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers. It is being developed by Mozilla, the non-profit organization best known for the Firefox web browser. It is designed to provide a complete community-based alternative system for mobile devices.
A Firefox OS ROM has been complied by XDA senior member pureexe for Google Nexus 4. This ROM is still in the experimental stages and there are some bugs – camera and MTP/PTP are not fully functional. But soon, a fully working ROM will arrive. Nexus 4 users who want to try out this ROM can follow the instructions given below.
Note: Follow this tutorial only if you are aware of what you are doing. If the device gets bricked, the writer or the owner of this site must not be held responsible.
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- Bootloader of the Nexus 4 must be unlocked
- Fastboot zip file
- Firefox OS zip file
- Make a backup of your data.
- Extract the Fastboot zip file and the Firefox OS zip file to a same location on the computer.
- Turn off the device and boot into fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, then press and hold Power.
- Once the device is in the fastboot mode, connect it to the computer using the USB cable. Let the fastboot drivers install automatically.
- On the computer, open the folder where fastboot and Firefox OS files were extracted.
- Now in that folder, open the command prompt and type the following lines.
fastboot flash boot "boot.img location" fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img location" fastboot flash system "system.img location" fastboot flash userdata "userdata.img location"
- Wait for a few minutes for the process to be completed.
- After the process is done, disconnect the USB and reboot the phone.
If you have any doubts regarding this tutorial, you can head over to the XDA thread.