Recently, HTC and Samsung released the Google Play Edition flagship devices. Whether these devices are here to stay is subject to debate. HTC and Samsung both released the GPL-compliant kernel source code of their phones. So it was just a matter of time before they were ported to other phones.
Now with the efforts of XDA developers, HTC One has received a Google Play Edition ROM. Follow the instructions given below to install the Google Play Edition ROM on HTC One.
- HTC One must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed on the HTC One (eg CWM or TWRP)
- Google Play Edition ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Make sure that USB debugging is enabled on the phone.
- Then create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Google Play Edition ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Google Play Edition ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.