Recently, HTC and Samsung released the Google Play Edition flagship devices. Both the companies released the kernel source code. Some developers were able to port it to other device. Previously we saw this Google Edition ROM ported on the HTC One. Similarly, the Google Edition ROM has also been ported to the Samsung Galaxy S4. This ROM will work on both the Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 as well as i9505. Follow the instructions below to install it on Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed on the Samsung Galaxy S4 (eg CWM or TWRP)
- Google Play Edition ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Make sure that USB debugging is enabled on the phone.
- Then create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Google Play Edition ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Google Play Edition ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.