The 2014 Moto G is the successor to Motorola’s best selling phone of the same name. It features a 5″ 720p IPS LCD display, 1.2GHZ quad-core Cortex-A7, 1GB of RAM and either 8GB or 16GB or internal storage. It has an 8MP primary camera and 2MP secondary camera. The Moto G is powered by a non-removable 2070mAh battery.
Moto G 2014 is yet to receive official Marshmallow update. But Android being open source, there are lot of other ways using which you can update your device. CyanogenMod team have created an official CM 13 nightly for Moto G 2014 which will install Android Marshmallow on this phone. Follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Moto G:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install CM 13 ROM on Moto G:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 13 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 13 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.