Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 4.8″ 720p display. It was the first device to have a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, with each core clocked at a maximum 1.4 GHz. It packs NFC, wireless charging capability, and the latest wireless radios. It ships with Samsung’s Nature UX interface. At the time of its launch, it ran on Android 4.0.4 ICS.
Samsung Galaxy S3 did not receive KitKat official update so it is impossible that Samsung will provide Marshmallow support. However S3 users need not worry as CyanogenMod team have created custom ROM which will update S3 to Android 6.0. Detailed tutorial is given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install CM 13 ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 13 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 13 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.