Galaxy Grand Duos is a typical mid range device with some impressive specs. It is powered by a 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 8 GB of internal memory and 1 GB of RAM. Galaxy Grand consists of 8 MP primary camera and 2 MP secondary camera.
It currently runs on Android Jelly Bean OS. It can be upgraded to the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS via the SlimKat custom ROMs. This ROM is still in the development stages but it can be used for day to day use. You can follow the instructions given below to install SlimKat ROM on Galaxy Grand Duos.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Note: Only one SIM card slot works in this ROM.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Grand:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install SlimKat ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download theSlimKat ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the SlimKat ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.