Moto E was received with great fanfare due to its low price and great specs. Moto E has seen many developments over the past few weeks. Some custom ROMs are available for the Moto E. Previously, we saw how to install unofficial CM 11 ROM on the Moto E. Another custom ROM – SlimKat ROM is available for the Moto E. SlimKat offers a light ROM but does not compensate for any features. Follow the instructions given below to install it on Moto E.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Moto E:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Bootloader unlocked
- Moto E must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed
- SlimKat ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install SlimKat ROM on Moto E:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the SlimKat ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the SlimKat ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.