Sony has a popular social media app in the form of Timescape which consisted of scrolling panels giving information about the updates of social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. It also displayed other information such as call history, messages etc. It has a very wonderful UI and it is popular among Sony users. It worked only on Sony’s stock ROMs.
However XDA developer Rizal Lovins has made Timescape compatible with the 2011 Sony Xperia devices running on the Jelly Bean custom ROMs for e.g. CM 10 and CM 10.1. There are some small bugs that can be encountered in this mod. The instructions to install Timescape are given below.
- Device must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed
- Bootloader unlocked
- Device should be running on a JB custom ROM (Android 4.1 or 4.2)
- Minimum 12 MB free space on ROM
- Timescape for JB zip file
- Make a Nandroid backup in case anything goes wrong.
- Download Timescape for JB zip file and place it on the root of the SD card.
- Now use a root file manager and navigate to the /system directory.
- A file named “build.prop” will be seen.
- Open this file with a text editor. Rename the “ro.product.manufacturer= SEMC” to “ro.product.manufacturer= Sony Ericsson”. Add a new line “ro.semc.timescape_keys=Sony_Ericsson_Xperia”.
- Go in to the recovery mode.
- Go to “Wipe cache partition” and clear the cache.
- Go to “Advanced” and delete the dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install zip from SD card” and choose the Timescape for JB zip file.
- Go to “Advanced” and select “Fix Permissions”
- Go back and just reboot the phone.
Note : This mod might not work on all the ROMs. Try it at your own risk.