Moto E is a budget friendly phone launched by Motorola after the success of Moto G. It has 4.3″ capacitive display, a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 200 dual core processor and 1 GB of RAM. It has a primary camera of 5 MP although the secondary camera is absent. It runs on the latest Android 4.4 KitKat.
Previously, we have seen how to unlock the bootloader of Moto E. In this tutorial, we will proceed with the installation of TWRP recovery. This recovery will enable you to do a variety of things – flash ROMs, install MODs, make a nandroid backup and lots more. Follow the steps given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Moto E:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Moto E bootloader unlocked
- Moto E drivers installed on the computer
- mfastboot-v2 file
- Moto E recovery image
- Download the mfastboot-v2 file and extract it on computer.
- Download the Moto E recovery image and rename it to recovery-twrp.img.
- Move it to the same folder as mfastboot-v2.
- Connect the phone to the computer. Press Volume Down+Power button for a few seconds.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the extracted mfastboot-v2 pack. Hit Shift+Right Click in an empty area. Choose “Open a command window here” option.
- In the command prompt, type the following command and then press enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
- In about a minute, the screen should go blank. Press the power key and make a swipe on the screen. This will restore the touch functionality.