Social Media integration with the smartphones have become a very common thing. There are some firmwares which automatically sync Facebook friends with the user’s contacts. In the HTC One, we see that Sense 5 is fully integrated with Facebook. The contacts are synced while the Facebook images also appear in the Gallery.
While certain section of users have given a thumbs up to this feature, there are others who wouldn’t want to sync the Facebook images with the Gallery. The reason might be because of the fact that the Gallery application will sync with your contacts’ Facebook profiles and populate your gallery with the pictures.
XDA Forum Member Riyal decided to address this issue. It was done by a small mod that prevents the gallery from populating itself with Facebook contact pictures as well. Moreover, the developer decided to leave the Social thumbnail there, as it serves as a link to open up the part of the gallery that would have otherwise been filled right away with the pics. In other words, the contact pics become an on-demand thing as opposed to automatically loading.
Try this mod at your own risk. It might not work on all the ROMs. Follow the instructions given below.
- HTC One must be rooted
- HTC One must be stock ROM
- Custom Recovery installed
- Gallery Patch zip file
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Gallery Patch zip file and place it on the root of the SD card. Root of the SD card means it should not be placed within any folder.
- Go in to the recovery mode.
- Go to “Wipe cache partition” and clear the cache.
- Go to “Advanced” and delete the dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gallery Patch zip file that was downloaded in step 2.
- Go back and just reboot the phone.