The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is a Galaxy S4 look-alike with a smaller screen and less hardware muscle. The device comes with a 4.3″ Super AMOLED qHD display, a dual-core processor and the TW Nature UX 2.0 on top of Android 4.2.2. It was released earlier this month and in a relatively short period of time, root access has been achieved. Along with root, the ClockworkMod custom recovery will also be installed. So the Galaxy S4 Mini users who want to root their device can follow the instructions below.
- Odin v3.07 installed on the computer
- USB Debugging enabled on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
- Make a backup of the data on the device.
- Download GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.zip and Recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-serranoltexx.tar.zip files and extract it to get the respective .tar.md5 files.
- Turn off the phone.
- Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
- Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
- Start Odin, uncheck “F. Reset Time”, and then click PDA button.
- Select “GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5” file, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
- After boot is finished, power off your phone and repeat step 4 and 5.
- In Odin, click PDA button and select “recovery-clockwork-18.104.22.168-serranoltexx.tar.md5” file, and press Start button.
- After boot is finished, power off your phone.
- Press and hold home, volume up and power. Phone will boot into recovery. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select yes.
- After the process is complete just reboot the phone and then install the super user app from the Google Play Store.