Previously, we saw how to unlock the bootloader of HTC Butterfly S. Unlocking the bootloader is the first step towards rooting your phone and installing custom recovery, then eventually installing custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, PACman, AOKP, etc.
Other than this, many apps like Titanium Backup and RAM Expander need root privileges to work. Besides, there are many benefits of rooting your Android. HTC Butterfly S is a smartphone with wonderful specifications and rooting it will further increase the performance of the phone. First, the CWM custom recovery will be installed and then the rooting procedure will follow. So, the users who want to root their HTC Butterfly S and install CWM custom recovery can follow this guide.
It should be noted that rooting your phone will void the warranty. So proceed very carefully.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC Butterfly S:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC Butterfly S drivers installed on the computer
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Fastboot.zip file
- CWM Recovery file
- Root.zip file
Steps to install CWM Recovery:
- Download the fastboot.zip file and CWM recovery file on the computer.
- Turn off the device. Now go in to the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons.
- Select Fastboot by pressing the Power button.
- Extract the fastboot file to a convenient location on your computer and make sure CWM recovery file is placed in the same folder.
- Go to the folder where the fastboot file has been extracted and open the command prompt.
- Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable. Now the fastboot menu should show “Fastboot USB”.
- Now in the command prompt, type the following command and then press enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-dlxpul.img
- After a few moments, the recovery will be installed on the phone.
Steps to Root HTC Butterfly S:
- Download the root.zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Turn off the phone and go in to the bootloader mode.
- From the bootloader, select recovery and then press the Power button.
- Once in the recovery, go to “Wipe cache partition” and clear the cache.
- Go to “Advanced” and delete the dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the root.zip file.
- Go back and just reboot the phone.
Success! You have now achieved root access on the HTC Butterfly S.