Nexus 9 is the latest tablet in the Nexus series. It has only been a few days since its release but developments have already begun. Earlier we saw how to unlock the bootloader of the Nexus 9. This will help us to root the Nexus 9. The root method for the Nexus 9 has been created by popular developer Chainfire. You will have to root the device using the fastboot commands. Follow the detailed guide given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your device getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 9:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Nexus 9 drivers installed on the computer
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- ADB and Fastboot installed on the computer
- Nexus 9 SuperSU zip file
- Make sure ADB and fastboot files are placed in the same folder.
- Download and extract the SuperSU zip file to the folder where ADB and fastboot files are present.
- Connect the Nexus 9 to the computer. Boot into bootloader/fastboot mode by entering the following command
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the following command to boot from inject.img
fastboot boot inject.img
- Flash the patched kernel using the below mentioned command to root the Nexus 9
fastboot flash boot patched.img
- Reboot using the following command.
- On reboot, you will find the SuperSU app which indicates that root access has been achieved.