Previously, we saw how to root Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using the Odin Flashing Utility. This method was available even before the Galaxy S4 had been released in the market. But the problem was it was only useful for the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 with the firmware XXUAMD2. It was not to be used on any other firmwares or variants.
But, now XDA Recognized Developer Djrbliss has posted a new rooting guide which can be used for all the Qualcomm based processor on the Samsung Galaxy S4. This method will also work with other carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. For rooting, a technique named Motochopper is used. It is named so because it was first developed for the Motorola devices.
Samsung Galaxy S4 users who want to root their phone can follow the instructions given below. Only follow this guide if you have sufficient knowledge of what you are doing. Following this method improperly can permanently brick the device.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Qualcomm based processor
- Motochopper zip file
- Samsung USB drivers installed
- Download the Motochopper zip file on the computer.
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
- If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB.
- If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute “run.bat”.
- If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute “./run.sh”.
- Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.
- Wait for sometime for the process to complete.
Once the process is completed, the user will get root access on the Samsung Galaxy S4.