Samsung Galaxy Grand is a mid-range device which performed admirably well in many markets. And following its success, Samsung has launched its successor – Galaxy Grand 2. It has a 5.25″ screen. Grand 2 is powered by a 1.20GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor, 2 GB RAM. It has a 8MP primary camera. The internal memory is 8 GB with an expandable microSD card slot.
It was released in January 2014 running on Android 4.3. No KitKat update is available for this phone as of yet. But you can always update it with custom ROMs. However you will first have to obtain root access. Other than this, rooting the device has many other benefits. Follow the instructions given below to root Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Grand 2:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to Root Galaxy Grand 2 on Jelly Bean 4.3:
- Make a backup of your data.
- Extract the contents of Odin3 3.09.zip on your computer and install Odin on the PC.
- Turn off the phone and make sure it is not connected to the computer.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode by switching it off and then simultaneously pressing the Volume Down + the Home key button. While holding these both buttons, you need to switch on your device.
- Open Odin. Connect your phone to the computer and allow the drivers to install. You will see the “Added!!” message on Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers for your phone.
- In the Odin Menu, make sure to check the Auto-Reboot and F.Reset options.
- Download the pre-rooted firmware zip file on the computer. Extract it and you will get a GenNxt_PreRooted_SMG7102Grand2_BalliBoxer.zip file.
- Click the AP button in Odin and select the file extracted in the previous step. Do not make any unnecessary changes on Odin.
- Click the Start button in Odin and wait for a few moments.
- Your phone will automatically reboot. Done!
Once the phone reboots, you can check the root status by installing the Root Checker app from the Play Store.