Sony Xperia M was launched in August 2013. It is a mid-range device having a Dual-core 1 GHz Krait processor, Adreno 305 and 1 GB of RAM. It consists of a 4″ TFT capacitive touchscreen having a resolution of 480×854 pixels (245 ppi). Additionally, it has 4 GB internal memory and an expandable memory up to 32 GB. It also has a 5 MP primary camera and a VGA secondary camera.
Sony Xperia M runs on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. The official upgrade to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS is not yet available and Sony has made no promises about it in the future. However, you can update the Xperia M via custom ROMs. For this purpose, your Xperia M must be rooted first. In this guide, we will see how to root Sony Xperia M. This guide is only for Sony Xperia M C1904/1905. Do not use it for any other variants or carriers. Follow the instructions given below.
It should be noted that rooting your phone will void the warranty. So proceed very carefully.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia M:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sony Xperia M drivers installed on the computer
- Sony Xperia M should not be network-locked
- Framaroot 1.6.0 APK file
- Root Explorer
Steps to Root Sony Xperia M:
- Download the Framaroot 1.6.0 APK file on your computer.
- Using a USB cable, connect your phone to the computer.
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 1 to the SD card of the Sony Xperia M.
- Now on your phone, using Root Explorer locate the downloaded file and tap on it to install.
- Once it is installed, open the Framaroot app.
- Select GANDALF Exploit from the list which will be used to root Sony Xperia M. Do not use any other Exploit. It might brick your phone.
- Once the GANDALF Exploit is selected, Sony Xperia M would be rooted and you would see a message “Success, Superuser and SU binary installed!”
- After this, reboot your phone. It will take some time to boot since the device is getting rooted.
- Once the phone boots, you will have a rooted Sony Xperia M!