Sony Xperia Z Ultra is Sony’s very own phablet. Even though the phablet was only recently released, XDA developer has managed to gain root access for this device. Senior XDA member m3dd0g has created and released a pre-rooted firmware file. There are various benefits of rooting.
In this tutorial we will see how to achieve root access on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Before rooting, it is necessary that the bootloader is unlocked and any custom recovery is installed on the device. We have already seen how to install CWM and TWRP recovery on Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Now lets begin with the rooting process. Rooting the phone will void warranty. So proceed very carefully.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z Ultra:
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to Root Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Root zip file and transfer it on your phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip ” and then “Select zip”. Choose the file downloaded in step 2.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.