HTC has provided an official method to unlock bootloaders in the devices shipped after September 2011. Responding to popular demand by developers and a step to promote development by private developers HTC has shipped phones with Unlockable Bootloaders to allow Developers to create custom ROMs, Kernels, etc for HTC devices. It is essential to unlock bootloader before doing S-OFF for any HTC device and rooting your device.
Here is the Official method to unlock bootloader on HTC Butterfly/ Droid DNA.
- Make sure you have installed HTC drivers before you start the process.
- To perform the unlocking process you need to visit the site official Developer site of HTC: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
- Then on the top right corner you’ll see a button to register. Please register to the website or login with a pre existing account.
- Now click on the Drop down list on the right hand side fo the page and scroll down to find the option “Other Supported Models” and press “Begin Unlock Bootloader”
- Then a pop-up will be displayed press yes to it.
- Then Tick mark both the legal terms and select the “Proceed to unlock instructions” button.
- Now power off your device.
- Press and hold the volume down button and the power key.
- Then use the volume buttons to select the “bootloader” and press power key to boot into bootloader.
- Now connect the Device to the PC.
- Download and extract the “adb fastboot.zip” in a folder on the desktop.
- Now press Shift + right click and select Open Command window here from the list.
- now type the following code in the cmd window:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Now you’ll see many lines of numbers printed in the cmd windows just copy the entire thing and past it in the HTC developers website’s step 10 and press submit.
- Soon you’ll receive an email including “Unlock_code.bin” as an attachment.
- Just download it into the folder you extracted on your desktop.
- Now return back to the cmd window and type the following code and hit enter key:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- Just follow the in screen instruction and you’ll be done with the unlocking process.
Congratulations you have successfully unlocked your Bootloader of HTC Droid DNA/Butterfly!