Moto G was released in November last year. It is a budget friendly phone with good specs. It has a 4.5″ screen and is powered by a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It has an internal memory of 16 GB. Additionally it has a 5 MP primary camera.
If you want to perform any mods on this phone then unlocking the bootloader is the first step. Then you can root device, install custom recovery and then try out different custom ROMs. So if you want to unlock the Moto G bootloader, follow the steps given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Moto G:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Moto G drivers installed on the computer
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- ADB and Fastboot installed on the computer
- Make sure ADB and fastboot files are placed in the same folder.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it in fastboot mode.
- For fastboot mode press and hold power and volume down button at the same time.
- Connect your Moto G with your computer.
- On your computer go to the fastboot folder.
- There open a command prompt window
- Now, on the cmd window type the command “fastboot oem get_unlock_data”.
- Now go to this page.
- Register on Motorola’s official web page.
- Read what’s on Motorola’s official page, agree and click on “next”.
- Now, on the cmd window you will have something like this displayed:(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230; (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00; (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95; (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000; (bootloader) 0000000.
- Copy these lines (without the “bootloader” word) on the Motorola web site. Check if your device can be unlocked.
- Select the “can my device be unlocked” option.
- Press the “request unlock key” button and select “I agree”.
- A unique code (20 character alpha numeric code) will be sent to your email.
- Go to the cmd window from your computer and type the command (replace code with the received code): “fastboot oem unlock [here you will enter the 20 character long code with the right button of your mouse.]”
- Moto G bootloader will be unlocked.