HTC has delivered a brilliant device in the form of HTC One. It is a fine device that will deliver you with great performance, and an innovative User Experience. However, many of us will still want to do some experimentation with the device in spite of a brilliant UI provided by HTC in the form of Sense 5.0. To be able to change custom ROMs, flash new kernels, etc you’ll have to Unlock the bootloader of your device (Developer Unlock). Luckily there exists an official method to Unlock your device.
It is explained in detail as follows:
Note: make sure that you follow each step carefully, and also that this process will erase all data on your device.
- Make sure you have installed HTC drivers before you start the process.
- To perform the unlocking process you need to visit the site official Developer site of HTC: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
- Then on the top right corner you’ll see a button to register. Please register to the website or login with a pre existing account.
- Now click on the Drop down list on the right hand side fo the page and scroll down to find the option “Other Supported Models” and press “Begin Unlock Bootloader”
- Then a pop-up will be displayed press yes to it.
- Then Tick mark both the legal terms and select the “Proceed to unlock instructions” button.
- Now power off your device.
- Press and hold the volume down button and the power key.
- Then use the volume buttons to select the “bootloader” and press power key to boot into bootloader.
- Now connect the Device to the PC.
- Download and extract the “adb fastboot.zip” in a folder on the desktop.(if you’re a MAC user see these instructions)
- Now press “Shift + Right click” and select “Open Command window here” from the list.
- Type the following code in the cmd window:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Now you’ll see many lines of numbers printed in the cmd windows just copy the entire thing and past it in the HTC developers website’s step 10 and press submit.
- Soon you’ll receive an email including “Unlock_code.bin” as an attachment.
- Just download it into the folder you extracted on your desktop.
- Now return back to the cmd window and type the following code and hit enter key:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.
- Just follow the on screen instruction and you’ll be done with the unlocking process.
Congratulations you have successfully unlocked your Bootloader of HTC One!