Sony Xperia Z is one of the new releases in the Xperia line of Smartphones. The owners of Xperia Z might want to root the phone and further install the custom ROMs and add some tweaks to this phone to increase the performance of the phone. But before doing all this, it is necessary to unlock the bootloader of the Sony Xperia Z. Without unlocking bootloader, it is not possible to root the phone. So the users who want to unlock the bootloader of the Sony Xperia Z can follow the instructions given below.
- A Windows based computer
- Latest Android SDK installed on the computer
- Fastboot zip file
- USB Debugging enabled
- Check if Xperia Z’s bootloader can be unlocked or not. Open the phone app on the handset and dial *#*#7378423#*#*. From the service menu select “Service info >> Configuration >> Rooting Status”. Now in front of the “Bootloader unlock allowed” option there should be “yes”. If different, bootloader cannot be unlocked.
- On the phone dialer enter *#06# and note down the IMEI. It can also be done by going to “Settings >> About phone >> Status”.
- Go to this page. Click on the “Start unlocking the bootloader” button.
- Click on “Continue >> Yes, I’m sure” and proceed to the next page. Agree with the Legal terms and click on “I accept”.
- On the page that will now be displayed enter your name and email address, the IMEI (the first 14 numbers) and finally click on “submit”.
- Check your email as the unlock bootloader key will be provided. Note this key down as it will be needed.
- Take the Xperia Z and turn it off.
- While pressing on the Volume Down button connect the phone with the computer by using the USB cable.
- The handset will boot into fastboot mode and a device installation screen will be displayed on the computer.
- Extract the Fastboot zip file and place it in Android SDK >> extras >> google >> usb_driver.
- On that window, select “Browse my computer for driver software >> Let me pick from a list of device drivers”. Click on “Have Disk” and go to “Android SDK >> extras >> google >> usb_driver” and select the “android_winusb.inf” file.
- From the list select “Android Bootloader Interface” and follow the prompts for installing the proper drivers.
- Then, go to “Android SDK >> platform tools”. Press and hold the shift button on your keyboard, then right-click on an empty part of the screen and open a command prompt window.
- In the cmd window enter the command: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version. Press Enter.
- On the same cmd window enter: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY (replace key with the key that was sent via email).
- The bootloader will now be unlocked. The “finished” message will be displayed. Type “fastboot -i 0x0fce reboot” in order to reboot the phone.
- Unplug the USB cable.
The procedure is complete and the Bootloader is now unlocked!