HTC Butterfly S is the successor to the HTC Butterfly. The HTC Butterfly S has some impressive specifications – a quad core 1.9GHz Snapdragon processor, Adreno 320 GPU, 2GB RAM and LTE connectivity. The 5″ SuperLCD3 display has a full HD resolution of 1080×1920. The 4MP camera is the same one introduced on the 2013 flagship HTC One. In addition, it has a powerful 3200mAh battery.
HTC Butterfly S was released a month ago and it runs on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. The latest Android 4.3 OS is not yet available for the HTC Butterfly S but it can be installed on the HTC Butterfly S via the custom ROMs. However, before installing a custom ROM, you will have to unlock the bootloader, root the Butterfly S and also install a custom recovery (eg CWM, TWRP). In this guide, we will see how to unlock the bootloader of the HTC Butterfly S. It must be noted that unlocking the bootloader of the HTC Butterfly S will void your warranty.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC Butterfly S:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC Butterfly S drivers installed on the computer
- Fastboot.zip file
Steps to unlock the Bootloader of HTC Butterfly S:
- Go to http://www.htcdev.com/. Register yourself and then log in.
- Download the fastboot.zip file on the computer.
- Turn off the device. Now go in to the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons.
- Select Fastboot by pressing the Power button.
- Extract the file downloaded in step 2 to a convenient location on your computer.
- Go to the folder where the fastboot file has been extracted and open the command prompt.
- Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable. Now the fastboot menu should show “Fastboot USB”.
- Now in the command prompt, type the following command and then press enter.
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- You will see the following image.
- Now copy the entire identifier token.
- Next, go to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unl…uctions/page-3 and follow instructions on the page.
- After the instructions are complete on the HTCDEV page, you will get an email with a Unlock_code.bin file.
- Download the Unlock_code.bin file and copy it to the folder where you have extracted the fastboot folder.
- Now in the command prompt, type the following command and press enter.
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- The following screen will appear.
- Select YES and then press the Power button.
Done! The bootloader of HTC Butterfly S has now been unlocked.